How You Can Help
- Even the smallest of donations can help. There are many options, including automatic withdrawls. Just a few dollars per month can go a long way towards helping needy families or those in crisis. Interested? Check out their website and explore the options for giving.
- Did you know that for every dollar you spend buying food to donate to the Mustard Seed, they can stretch that dollar into two? By donating money over food, you enable the Mustard Seed to feed even more hungry individuals and families. Of course, donating food is still a completely worthy endeavour, but if you are purposely buying food in order to hand it over to the food bank, consider donating the cash instead. You will also benefit from a charitable tax receipt. According to Mustard Seed food distribution staff, peanut butter has gone up in price by approximately $6 per case, making it difficult to provide to the many individuals and families who rely on this as a source of protein. You can help by purchasing an extra jar when you shop and putting it in one of the donation boxes you see in your local grocery store.
- Got more time on your hands than money? The Mustard Seed welcomes volunteers of all ages and backgrounds. Find out how you can be of assistance at our local food bank and join an amazing community of volunteers.
Click here to see the Mustard Seed's Food Bank Shopping List, a list of items that are constantly needed.
- Baby items such as diapers, formula, wipes and so on are always in hot demand at the Mustard Seed.
- You can donate your Thrifty Club points to the Mustard Seed by asking your cashier when paying for your groceries.
- Share this information with family and friends. Education is the first step towards healing the problem with poverty in our community and helping those who are in crisis or living in poverty know that they are not forgotten.
- The Mustard Seed gratefully accepts donations of used clothing, bedding, household items, small appliances, etc. Anything you might use in your home can benefit a struggling family, someone who has lost their job, a person in crisis or a homeless individual or family...yes, there are actually homeless families. All items are laid out in a communal space so that people can take what they need; nothing is re-sold.
- Host a party and ask your guests to bring a food or monetary donation in lieu of gifts.
- Instead of a garage sale, consider donating your useful household and clothing items to the Mustard Seed, where they will be given directly to people in need.